Saturday, May 13, 2006

a day in the life, 12 months on (a la Things We Should Have…)

I woke up at the usual 7 am but felt unusually awake. I had a quick bit of toast and tea, banged open the big gate and we were off to work. The boyfriend dropped me off and as I walked down the hill to the school, I was greeted with a “ferenj!” from a little girl in passing.

My kids were surprisingly alert when I said “good morning” and all responded with a robotic “Goooood mooooorrrrning Miiiiiiss Saaaaaara”. The next 45 minutes were divided between getting the morning lesson ready, resolving minor scuffles, and marking homework.

The very redundant revision of all of our vocabulary words was interrupted by the not-so-triumphant return of the crazy appendix-less assistant. She dawdled around the class taking time to kiss each child, each of whom looked like they could care less but didn’t want to make any sudden movements less they set her off. [She informed me she’ll be coming in half days to help out although she didn’t so much as pick up a crayon today.]

Usually during snack time I like to eat too but today I was doing last minute preparations for the kids so they could make Mother’s Day cards. I decided to sit outside to fold and cut paper which drew a small crowd of kids asking “Miss! What eez dees?” I don’t really understand why the kindergarten coordinator insists on celebrating these Hallmark created “days”. We never sent out a Happy Adwa Day card.

I called the boyfriend to check what had happened with his visitor visa application to Canada. As it turns out, we’re celebrating my one year here by making plans to leave. It’s only for the summer though. My cousin is getting married and it’s a good time for the boyfriend to meet the clan all in one go.

I had ferfer for lunch. The waitresses have stopped being surprised.

I did some marking quickly and gathered my mental strength to teach grade one. This week I’ve managed to get a small hold over them: they now sit quietly for 30 second intervals. It doesn’t sound like a major victory but it is. Class went reasonably well and no chaos erupted. I left not hating all small children (this time).

I had to make a couple of photocopies but ended up so frustrated with the inept photocopy lady who is incapable of multi tasking that when she turned her back to shuffle some paper, I pushed the big green button myself. A few times.

I went back to my class to get my stuff to leave but the boyfriend called, “a bomb went off so stay at the school.” It was a bit nerve wracking especially because it was at Gotera (I learned later that about 8 other bombs went off around different parts of the city. If they were actual terrorists, they would have planted them at the Hilton, not in a café or a local bus.)

So I did some cutting and gluing, and I waited. Kids grabbed at the paper, at the scissors, at the glue. “Don’t touch!” I figured the boyfriend would come and get me soon so I sat outside. I began to feel like one of the neglected kids whose parents temporarily forgot about them. I called him but he had gotten busy but supposedly all the soldiers had cleared out. I decided to walk in his direction. A handful of not-from-my-school kids caught up to me. One said hello and shook my hand, giggled and ran back to her friends. Others strung together all the English words they knew. They didn’t ask me for money which was a pleasant surprise.

The ugly white car appeared and it was him. I got in and we went for coffee on Bole where plenty of blue camouflaged soldiers were on the streets or in the backs of trucks. It wasn’t a surprise and I felt less disturbed by them than the time before.

We forgot to return a video but did visit with his dad and little sister. A friend left for Canada today so we briefly saw him while we ate some chicken masala and saag paneer. I want to sleep now but I’m dreading going to bed because of the mosquitoes. My legs are covered in bites as it is and it’ll be weeks before I can wear a skirt again. (It's not that I love wearing skirts. It's that I only have one pair of jeans.) It’s definitely a coordinated attack when they manage to leave bites on both knee caps.

Deuna deuru.

Things We Should Have Written Down

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home