Friday, April 21, 2006

Debra Zeit

Oh that Debra. She’s not another woman but she might as well be. She’s stolen the boyfriend from me. He’s with her while I’m at home. Maybe I can plead with her like Dolly pleaded with Jolene.

He talks about you in his sleep and there’s nothing I can do to keep from crying when he calls your name “Debra”.
And I can easily understand how you could easily take my man but you don’t know what he means to me, Debra.

Or not.

It’s a glorious extra long weekend thanks to the Orthodox Christian’s devoutness to Fassika aka Easter. But with no boyfriend to enjoy it with and a serious lacking of friends, I find myself cruising the internet bitterly reading music reviews while longing for my typical weekend morning routine of a mug of tea and some downloading. Instead I’m replacing the need with burned cds my little brother sent me.

This weekend will prove to be an all weekend his-family extravaganza. Fasting is over and here comes the sheep. I’m sure there will be the running joke with his dad about me eating raw meat, which will never happen. His mom will be asking “mino?” when I don’t pile up my plate three times. Bi eubakesh, eubakesh.”

Ethiopian hospitality is beyond amazing and requires me to think up new and different ways of politely saying no. I’ve never eaten this much in my life and I’m doing it in Ethiopia of all places. Ethiopian hospitality is the equivalent of having an Italian grandmother who wonders if you’re on a diet because you only took two giant helpings. If only it was all yummy pasta.

There’s a slight breeze. Time to move this one lady party outside.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Does Fassika celebrate baby jesus with chocolate too? I love Easter ;)

4:28 a.m.  
Blogger ladystroll said...

no, only sheep. and it's a sad sad replacement. sigh...little bunny lapins.

6:02 p.m.  
Blogger tobian said...

"I’ve never eaten this much in my life and I’m doing it in Ethiopia of all places."


Hmm ... don't say that to an Ethiopian...

"Ethiopian hospitality is the equivalent of having an Italian grandmother who wonders if you’re on a diet because you only took two giant helpings. If only it was all yummy pasta."

So, let me get this straight. You don't really like Ethiopian food, and you're being made to eat a lot of it? (I wish we could change places - I'm eating too much pasta.) Your best bet to refusing is to tell them that you get "stomach burns" when you have too much of the spicy + fermented stuff. The term in Amharic is "CHeguarayen yaqaTlegnal" or "CHeguarayen aqaTelegn", and say you can only have a little = "Tinish!", and throw in a big smile of gratitude.

The downside to this is a) you're obviously lying ;-) b) you have to follow through and say it all the time and c) the next thing you know they they'll start to serve stuff as al'CHa for you, and give you bread instead of injera.

9:10 p.m.  
Blogger ladystroll said...

the thing is i like enjera. it's meat i hate.

i'm just not good at stuffing myself.

5:56 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home