Sunday, January 22, 2006

several mishaps leading to a nearly disastrous day at school that turns into a rant

  1. ugly kid in class gets bad headache, starts crying, sees the nurse, calls her mom and goes home (she was actually sort of endearing at this point until the next day when i heard her whiney voice say "miiiiisssssss"),
  2. cute girl falls down while running, takes chunk out of knee, refuses to see nurse, I bring nurse to her and she squirms while she gets bandaged up,
  3. cute girl #2 eats lots of ferfer at lunch, proceeds to throw her lunch up while one of the assistants berates her for doing said deed.
I'm not one who is big on confrontation. There are several things I need to speak with the above mentioned assistant about including insulting a child's parent in front of the child, making her cry. I always wait on these sorts of things and then when I do work up the courage (or the situation becomes intolerable) it seems untimely.

Time for the librarian story: the jist is she speaks to me like I'm one of the students, which in turn makes me want to act like a kid - forgetting 'important' library rules like leaving my bag at the door and not eating in the sacred room of books.

"Sara! there's no eating in the library."

"Oh, there isn't? I didn't know." Ha.

It was all slightly annoying until I picked up that her tone implied I was also a kid. Then I thought about what would happen if I spoke to her like she was a five year old. I don't think she would be impressed, especially considering I've never seen her even crack a smile (except when she was laughing at one of the Korean students speaking...Korean). On top of her nazi tendencies, she's incompetent. And this really boils down to my issue(s?) with confrontation, because the woman has no reason - none, zip, menem - to be a jerk. I could list a whole list of things she does that point to total incompetency:

1. To take out or return a single book means waiting for a good five mintues while she searches through her drawer of a thousand cards to find my name. One word, lady: alphabetize.

2. She likes her mobile. For a woman who is constantly saying "the library means quiet", she does a lot of yappin'.

3. The kicker: I've seen her eating the exact same thing as me while in the library. (Side note: Rocklets are a close approximation to Smarties and come in better, more 70's basement kinda colours. When the orange, brown and green end up in my hand together, it makes me smile.)

Having to go to the library has turned anxiety ridden. And mostly, I have no one to blame but me - the most bitter part of this lesson. But really, I swear that wherever I go in the world, I'm destined to encounter some effen freaky people. They all have names. I've told their stories, which are sadly my stories, to you before. This one will do down as the "nazi librarian". I will, as they say, keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home