Wednesday, November 09, 2005

baaaa

After the mayhem, the sinisterness (not a word, I know) and the doldrums of last week, it’s back to work. It was supposed to be a week long strike in support of the arrested CUD leaders but this morning I swallowed my guilt and spent 8 hours behind my desk. It’s difficult to call a strike for people who absolutely depend on their daily wage for necessities. Plus there is government pressure – revoking of businesses and taxi licenses – to force people back to work. So the more people you see on the streets back to their normal routine, the less you feel like a warrior and the more you feel like just another sheep.

On my walk to work, I felt ashamed this morning. My skin colour probably signals many things to people: money, privilege, and especially at this time, I’d say hypocrisy is high on the list. And so when people called me ‘niche’ or ‘ferengwa’ today, there was an extra sting of my own creation. It's enough to bring a girl (or boy) to tears.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home