Wednesday, March 15, 2006

what kind of girl are you?

Before the time of the boyfriend, I had lady friends. Back in Canada, there’s a whole range to choose from: hipster girls, arty girls, man-ish girls, bubble gum girls. My friends were/are a mixture of any of these, of the laid back variety.

There seems to be only one type here: the girly girls. It’s all about going to hair salons weekly for up to 3 hours at a time. It’s about tight, revealing (and often) skanky clothes. It’s about playing up supposedly unbearably painful cramps. While all these are not to be ruled out completely, I’m a believer in moderation in any of the above situations.

Where are the laid back ladies of Ethiopia? And how do you go about making friends with them?

The difference between girly girls here versus Canada is they’re actually friendly. You don’t feel the competition vibe or the hateful stares like you do in Canada. Maybe it’s because women here can be intensely beautiful so they have nothing to worry about. Perhaps it’s me who is being too selective. After all, beggars can’t be choosers. But I just can’t see myself dwelling over make up, hair and clothing for hours on end. I can’t even pretend to get excited about that stuff when I have more important things, like chocolate and treats, to think about. The boyfriend doesn’t get excited about things I like (chocolate, for instance) unlike all girls I know. He claims he’s perfect, but not quite. If only he knew how easy it is to be my perfect lady friend.

1 Comments:

Blogger ladystroll said...

dina - how do you feel about chocolate?

10:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home